Insurance Term:

Vacant Buildings

Vacant Buildings

Most homeowners policies exclude coverage for common perils such as fire, theft, and vandalism if the property is vacant or unoccupied. Most insurance policies deny claims on properties left vacant or unoccupied for longer than 30 days.

For example, vacant or unoccupied home insurance might be needed for a vacation home; a home left empty while being renovated or remodeled; or a homeowner who often travels for weeks at a time.

A specialty plan can be purchased to cover the risk of damage or loss of a home that is uninhabited. The coverage can be added to a homeowners’ policy or bought separately.

Learn more about vacancy coverage for rental properties.

Back to all